Our client Azomures in Romania (part of Ameropa Switzerland) is in need for a Chief Operations Officer for the chemical site in Mures.
The Nitrogenous Fertilizer Plant Tîrgu-Mureş – known today as AZOMUREŞ – was founded in 1962 as a producer of nitrogenous fertilizers. The Nitrogenous Fertilizer Plant Tîrgu-Mureş consisted of three main producing plants (ammonia, nitric acid and ammonium nitrate) and five auxiliary units necessary for providing the plant with cooling water, demineralized water, steam, electric power, spare parts and equipment.
Together with the increase of the price of the energy, several high energy consumers from the older installations had been shut down. The only installations to continue operations were the following: Ammonia III, Ammonia IV, Nitric Acid II, III and IV, Urea, Melamine, NPK, CET I and II and Ammonium Nitrate I, II and III.
After 1990, AZOMURES had gone through several periods of restructuring, a privatization in the late 90’s, and in 2012 the property was transferred to the Ameropa company.
In the last years major investments have been made at the Azomures chemical site. Over 240 million euros has been invested in the latest technology from Stamicarbon and others.
Azomures has over 1.200 direct employees while approximatly 3.000 employees of contractors, suppliers and others are present.
The Azomures chemical site is located at Targu Mures, a city with over 134.000 inhabitants with a modern international airport. Targu Mures is a beacon of science with universities with over 10.000 students. All modern facilities are present in Targu Mures.
The COO of Azomures is tasked with the day-to-day administration and operation of the business. The COO reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mihai Anitei and is second in command.
This role has a huge scope for change management within the Azomures and will manage the changes after the Capital Investment projects of the last years.
- Management of 6-10 direct reports
- Leadership of all engineering projects and manufacturing technologies within a multimillion euro business
- Executive position reporting to the CEO
- Mandate to drive change within the organisation and adopt continuous improvement culture
- Large CAPEX and OPEX spend responsibility
- Oversees the chemical facilities including Safety and Operating performance, Budgeting, Capital Planning, and People Development
- Accountable for connecting to all Azomures employees in the region, regularly communicating plans, expectations and business performance. Effectively practices performance based management by coaching and developing employees, direct as well as associates, and assuring effective alignment with the organization
- 15 to 20 years of post qualification experience in Agrochemical or Chemical Industry
- Passionate about the company mission (To be the professional team of quality fertilizer producers supplying farmers worldwide, using safe and efficient technologies and treating both partners and environment in a responsible manner.) and vision (To be a leader among the top-class fertilizer producers all over the world!) and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values of the company to external and internal stakeholders
- Outstanding communication skills both verbal and written in English
- Be flexible and have a can do attitude, Hard Charger
- Able to investigate new technology/manufacturing opportunities
- Proven experience in developing operation strategies, making presentations
- Mature, self motivated and able to work independently under great pressure
- Very strong technical and project management background
- Excellent management, problem solving, analytical and decision making
- Have strong leadership, entrepreneurial, and business acumen
- Ability to inspire by using intelligence, resourcefulness and being creative
Experience as VP Operations, Manufacturing Director, Production Director or similar role in the fertilizer / chemical industry is a must!
Azomures offers a challenging position at the most important producer of mineral fertilizers in Romania. Large investments in the latest state of the art technologies have been made to ensure future growth, expansion and efficiency.
The compensation & benefits package is excellent and includes C-level standards.
If you have questions or want to discuss the position please contact Erwin Amesz